Surviving COVID: the impact on women and what we need for recovery
8pm Monday 22 February – please register here.
I am writing to invite you this very child-friendly on-line public meeting to discuss the impact of COVID on women, what change we want to see now and what a women-focused COVID recovery should look like.
I’m really excited to be joining an amazing line up of speakers, including:
Asha Herten, Gender and COVID 19. A doctoral student at the London School of Economics, Asha’s key areas of expertise include global health, human rights, feminist foreign policy; political economy. The Gender & COVID 19 project brings together academics from around the world, to identify and document the gendered dynamics of COVID-19 and gaps in preparedness and response.
Maggi Ferncombe is the Regional Secretary of UNISON Greater London, campaigning for equal pay and gender equality. She is a member of the Mayor’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Advisory Group .
The Young Women’s Trust is a feminist organisation working to achieve economic justice for young women. They are campaigning to raise awareness about the impact of COVID on young women so that young women aren’t left behind.
Local organisations that support women will also be contributing to the discussion.
I really hope you can join this crucial event. Just register here to receive your Zoom link.
Women are really struggling to survive the COVID pandemic.
• being on the frontline of the NHS, healthcare and educational settings
• trying to juggle home schooling while working
• doing the majority of childcare and housework
• experiencing more domestic violence
• losing income due to furlough
• losing even more income when we’re forced to quit work because we can’t get furloughed
We’re losing out from all sides!
Please also help to spread the word about this important event by:
• joining and sharing the Facebook event with other women and organisations that support women
• liking and retweeting my tweet using #WomenCOVIDRecovery #WomenSurvivingCOVID
Really looking forward to seeing you next Monday!
With best wishes,